Are you in a state that has adopted US MERA language into a licensing law or that is considering a licensure law based on US MERA language?

What is US MERA, and what is US MERA language?

The US Midwifery Education, Regulation, and Association (US MERA) is a coalition comprised of representatives of national midwifery associations, credentialing bodies, and education accreditation agencies: ACME, ACNM, AMCB, ICTC, MEAC, MANA, NACPM, and NARM.

The intention of US MERA was to seek common ground and “work toward a more cohesive United States midwifery presence.” In 2014, informed by the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) standards, US MERA organizations approved a resolution to support legislative language that states by January 1, 2020, “all new applicants for midwifery licensure must have successfully completed an educational program or pathway accredited by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or obtained the “Midwifery Bridge Certificate.” For more information, go to

What states are implementing US MERA language?

At this time Alabama, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, and South Dakota have passed licensure laws with US MERA language. This means licensure applicants must either have CPM certification by the end of 2019 or attend a MEAC-accredited school. More states are proposing licensure legislation that may also include this language.

What if I’m a student attending or have graduated from a MEAC-accredited school?

Graduates of MEAC-accredited schools will already meet these requirements.

What if I’m a PEP student or a PEP CPM in one of these states, what should I do?

For those seeking a license in a state that uses the US MERA language, the Midwifery Bridge Certificate will be required of ALL PEP CPMs who were certified prior to January 1, 2020. Graduation from a MEAC-accredited school will be required by the state for midwives certified after 2020 unless the midwife is licensed in another state. If licensed in another state, the midwife can meet the state requirements by obtaining the Midwifery Bridge Certificate. This is not a requirement by NARM, but it will have an impact on students seeking licensure in states that have the US MERA language in their licensing law.

What if I can’t or don’t obtain my CPM by December 31, 2019 and am in Alabama, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan or South Dakota?

Then you will need to graduate from a MEAC-accredited school or obtain a license in another state (and obtain the Midwifery Bridge Certificate) in order to meet the requirements for licensure in your state. As always, refer to the specific language in your own state law or regulations to determine the requirements for licensure.

I’m still confused! Can you help me?

Yes! Please contact us at or 888-842-4784 ext. 1, and we will answer all of your questions!

eBlast emailed April 19, 2019

Recent Posts

NARM’s Year in Review: Reflections on 2022

Another year comes to a close…and somehow we find ourselves...

Read MoreJanuary 30, 2023

NRP Updates for 2023

Results from the NARM NRP Survey! Every year NARM gets...

Read MoreDecember 20, 2022

NARM Accountability

CPM Informed Disclosure As you may know, NARM has an...

Read MoreDecember 16, 2022

Take the NARM NRP Survey! Tell us what you think!

Take the NARM NRP Survey! Every year NARM gets emails...

Read MoreOctober 28, 2022