NARM’s mission is:
- to provide and maintain an evaluative process for multiple routes of midwifery education and training;
- to develop and administer a standardized examination system leading to the credential “Certified Professional Midwife” (CPM)®;
- to identify best practices that reflect the excellence and diversity of the independent midwifery community as the basis for setting the standards for the CPM credential;
- to publish, distribute and/or make available materials that describe the certification and examination process and requirements for application;
- to maintain a registry of those individuals who have received certification and/or passed the examination;
- to manage the process of re-certification;
- and to work in multiple arenas to promote and improve the role of CPMs in the delivery of maternity care to women and their newborns.