Midwives who have been trained in other countries (except those legally recognized in the UK) who would like to apply for reciprocity from NARM must provide verification of all supportive documentation of training (licenses, diplomas and certificates).
STEP I: Education Validation
- Send all supportive documentation (licenses, diplomas and certificates) on the forms provided in the application to International Credentialing Associates (ICA), Inc. All transcripts must be verified by ICA. Address: 10801 Starkey Road, Suite 104, Seminole FL 33777, phone: (727) 549-8555, fax: (727) 549-8554, www.icaworld.com. No application will be processed without verification from ICA. Click here for the ICA Application.
- Notify NARM Applications Department of submission of educational validation to ICA via email at email@example.com
STEP II. Verification of Experience and Skills
- Complete the appropriate NARM application forms once instructed to do so by the applications department.
- On the NARM form provided in the application packet, submit documentation of functioning in the role of primary midwife or primary under supervision for:
- A minimum of ten births in homes or other out-of-hospital settings with a qualified preceptor;
- A minimum of five (5) births with continuity of care which includes five (5) prenatal exams spanning two trimesters, the birth, newborn exam and two (2) postpartum exams.
- Satisfy skills verification requirements. (if necessary)
Submit the CPM Application Form (400) and the Letter of Completion of NARM’s PEP Program.
Upon approval of the application materials, the NARM Written Examination will be scheduled. The NARM Written Examination is only given in the U.S.
The Certified Professional Midwife certification will be issued after all requirements are met.
The Candidate Information Booklet (CIB) is a comprehensive guide to all aspects of the certification process. It is recommended that all candidates have a copy of the CIB as they move through the process of documentation of experience, knowledge and skills.
The CIB also contains information on the NARM Skills and Written Exams, including test specifications and textbook lists. A paper copy can be ordered through the applications department or you can simply download an electronic copy.
A module/workshop on Cultural Competency will be required for all applications submitted after September 1, 2012.