North Carolinian beginning her midwifery journey!

New here? Tell us a little bit about yourself.

North Carolinian beginning her midwifery journey!

Postby PriyaGopal » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:57 am

Hi! My name is Priya Gopal, and I just joined this forum and am so excited to have the wealth of this community. I have wanted to become a midwife since I was 9-years old and I was present for my little brother's birth. As a teen I read Spritiual Midwifery, books by Sheila Kitzinger and Penny Simkin, and any stories I could find about midwifery, birth, and home birthing. After giving birth to my two children, I decided to begin by becoming a doula. I was certified by DONA in 2005, and took the postpartum doula training as well in 2008. Lately though the call to midwifery has become louder and more difficult to ignore, and I have seriously begun looking at my options.

I am almost 33-years and my children are 8 and 10 years-old. I live in North Carolina where CPMs are currently illegal to practice, but I really feel that the CPM training would be more my calling. I visited the Traditional School of Midwifery in Gainsville, Florida last month, and it was so exciting being in a proper school that taught the midwifery model of care. I am also drawn to the Birthingway College of Midwifery in Portland, and have also researched the Birthwise school in Maine. Particularly I have looked at the community-based program the school in Maine offers, where I work with a preceptor here in NC, and travel to Maine for intensive two week sessions every other month. My husband and I are open to relocating, but at this point would rather not. I have also looked at the National School of Midwifery which is more on-line based, though I am more inclined to learning in a school rather than on-line. I am committed to learning through a MEAC accredited program, as I feel better about that learning process.

I guess I would love any feedback, any thoughts, any guidance from more experienced midwives on my particular journey.
PriyaGopal

Return to Introduce Yourself