As a preceptor

Share and receive tools, advice, and support for promoting the CPM credential.

As a preceptor

Postby AlabamaCPM » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:21 pm

When I am acting as a preceptor for a midwife going through the PEP process what are the guidelines to sign off on a birth?
Am i allowed to do anything to help? Am i just observing and not attending mom or baby..am i helping her as she asks?
If she is working alone then is she doing both mama and baby stuff?

donna
Uppity Women Unite
AlabamaCPM

Re: As a preceptor

Postby NARMinfo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:41 pm

For Primary under Supervision the student should be acting in a primary role making all the decisions for the birth and immediate postpartum. Unless it is a birth for Continuity of Care then the newborn care is separate. There is no reason you can't "assist" the student just as she would assist you at a birth. The key is ... who is making the decisions. If she is not or you feel they are not correct then you have a responsibility to step in and correct the situation. Births such as this would be considered a great learning experience but not a primary. Debbie
NARM - North American Registry of Midwives
An international certification agency for the credential "Certified Professional Midwife" (CPM).
NARMinfo

Re: As a preceptor

Postby AlabamaCPM » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:13 pm

So during the time frame where the midwife is collecting her 20 births under supervision there will be births that she cannot count if the supervising MW deems she did not act as a primary but needed help? If this is the case I am feeling lots better about these numbers.

donna CPM
alabama
Uppity Women Unite
AlabamaCPM

Return to Advocacy