Software?

Questions and answers about examination and certification requirements. Share tips on how to prepare for the exam.

Software?

Postby Chris3 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:38 am

I've long thought about creating software like they have available for nurses to study for their exams, one for NARM and the AMCB - Do you think this would benefit future students? To be able to test/quiz/multiple choice it inside a program?
Chris3

Re: Software?

Postby Ida » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:27 am

Whether or not there would be a market for that would probably depend on the cost. There is already a group out there selling flash cards for self-study. Your software program, like these flash cards, would be based on your personal development of a study guide for midwives, and would not be endorsed by or created by the credentialing agencies themselves.
Ida Darragh, CPM
NARM Board Member
Ida

Postby Rainbow02 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:43 pm

I would like to see a study book, etc. to study for Narm exam. I need some help to pass the NARM.
Rainbow02

Postby Ida » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:50 pm

There is a content outline in the Candidate Information Bulletin, and a list of reference texts. You should collect as many of the texts as you can (you dont have to get all of them, just as many as you can), and use them to study the subjects on the test content outline. Some people make a notebook with a subject at the top of each page, and they take notes from each of the texts. That's a good way to review.

There is no other study guide because there is no one book that could prepare you for the exam. it is ideal to read all the sources you can get during your apprenticeship so that you can begin to apply what you study to your clinical experiences. The beauty of the NARM PEP is that it integrates your didactice and clinical education into your apprenticeship, and lets you learn from your preceptors while you study.

ida
Ida Darragh, CPM
NARM Board Member
Ida

Postby Rainbow02 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Ida wrote:There is a content outline in the Candidate Information Bulletin, and a list of reference texts. You should collect as many of the texts as you can (you dont have to get all of them, just as many as you can), and use them to study the subjects on the test content outline. Some people make a notebook with a subject at the top of each page, and they take notes from each of the texts. That's a good way to review.

There is no other study guide because there is no one book that could prepare you for the exam. it is ideal to read all the sources you can get during your apprenticeship so that you can begin to apply what you study to your clinical experiences. The beauty of the NARM PEP is that it integrates your didactice and clinical education into your apprenticeship, and lets you learn from your preceptors while you study.

ida

Where is the Candidate Information Bulletin?
Rainbow02

Postby NARMinfo » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:35 pm

The Candidate Information Bulletin (CIB) is available on our web page at http://www.narm.org/certification.htm.
NARM - North American Registry of Midwives
An international certification agency for the credential "Certified Professional Midwife" (CPM).
NARMinfo

Postby midwifebethany » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:56 pm

I have no idea what you'd charge for the software, but I can tell you that I *so* wished for something like that while studying for the NARM. After hearing a not-so-positive report from someone who had ordered the flashcards, I made my own index cards of information. It worked fine for me in the end, but I still felt throughout the process like I really didn't know *what* to study or if I was really prepared.
midwifebethany

Postby babiesforRuby » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:41 pm

As someone who is hoping to take the NARM exam in Feb 2010, when I told my husband ( a geek!) what I was planning to do for my studying, he said that if I did that I should release it on the web for others to use too. He's a huge fan of open source information, where users can contribute to the final product, and basically make it shareware or share-info. I'm not going fancy into software or anything, just planning to answer each question on the CIB in enough depth to study from, referencing the study sources. It's an overwhelming task, and if I really did it would result in 8 volumes of Oxorn and Foote, probably :) But that at least is my goal.

I'd love to see what you come up with in software in the next few years!!!
babiesforRuby

Postby Chris3 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:01 pm

I have a ton of ideas, but am finishing my education before I try to tackle anything else!
Chris3

Return to Testing