[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
North American Registry of Midwives • View topic - Mary Callender

Mary Callender

New here? Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Mary Callender

Postby vbacmom » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:12 pm

I am a NMI student and apprenticing midwife in Richmond, VA and the surrounding areas. I have been a birth doula for 12 years, a postpartum doula for 7 years, and a midwifery student for nearly 3 years. I am also an ICAN leader and VBAC mom. My oldest will graduate in a couple of months. I had a unnecessarian with him because he was breech. I vowed not to do that again and looked high and low for a doula with my second pregnancy. At that time, there were only 2 in Richmond and they were affiliated with large OB practices. I eventually found an assistant to the HB midwife in town to be my doula. She is the assistant in chapter 7 of the book Pushed by Jennifer Block. She taught me that birth is normal and to trust my body. With her guidance and support in healing from the cesarean, I went on to have a pure birth with my daughter. She was 9 lbs 9 oz and persistent posterior. I am spreading the message that she gave me. And I'm sick and tired of OBs calling for a c-section for stupid reasons!! I had wanted to wait for my doula/midwives assistant to strike out on her own and apprentice with her but realized that this was not going to happen. I wanted to be a granny midwife and after a number of years had passed, I noticed my teenage son ogling the girls at the beach and thought-oh no-I'm going to be a granny before I am a midwife if I keep at it at this pace! I look forward to sharing thoughts and discussions with everyone on the forum.

Namaste,
Mary Callender aka vbacmom
---->----->-------@
Mary
vbacmom

Return to Introduce Yourself