New preceptor policy?

This section is for students to communicate with other students about various issues.

New preceptor policy?

Postby BVMidwife » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:12 pm

A preceptor for a NARM PEP applicant must be credentialed as a Certified Professional Midwife (CPM), Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM), or Licensed Midwife who has an additional three years of experience or 50 births, including ten (10) continuity of care births beyond the primary birth experience requirements for CPM certification. (effective June 1, 2010) A preceptor who does not meet the above requirements may request an exemption by filling out the preceptor application form on this web site.

Does this mean that if a CPM does not meet these qualifications that we can NOT take any apprentices, or just that it won't count towards their PEP application. I live in a very small area and I'm planning to teach some classes for apprentices, this will at least give them a place to start since they have no other options, but I want to be clear if this policy prohibits accepting apprentices :? ?
I would make sure they understand this policy if it is allowed, just doesn't count :!:
Thanks,
Sharon
BVMidwife

Re: New preceptor policy?

Postby NARMinfo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Sharon,
NARM would never tell a midwife she can't take on apprentices. The policy means that as of June 1, 2010 any clinical and/or skill signed off in the application must be done so by a preceptor who meets the new requirements. Clinicals and/or skills that occurred prior to that date may be signed off by preceptors who met the earlier preceptor requirements.

Debbie
NARM - North American Registry of Midwives
An international certification agency for the credential "Certified Professional Midwife" (CPM).
NARMinfo

Re: New preceptor policy?

Postby BVMidwife » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks Debbie, that's what I was thinking.
BVMidwife

Return to Student Alley