Remote Clinicals

This section is for students to communicate with other students about various issues.

Remote Clinicals

Postby Browning » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Hello,

I would like to do an internship in a birth / training facility to get clinicals for the PEP. I am considering doing a 3 month stay. Does anyone have any experience working with any of the facilities in TX, Bali, Philippines, etc.? If so, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks, Browning
birthbliss@yahoo.com
Browning

Re: Remote Clinicals

Postby MotherNurtured » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:28 pm

I spent 5 weeks at Better Birth in Utah... a very good experience for me. http://www.betterbirth.com
MotherNurtured

Postby skhchamberlain » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Can you say more about Utah's Better Birth site? Were you there to get Active Participant or Primary skills? Did you feel that you were able to get exposure to what you needed? I'd never even heard of this program until you mentioned it in the forum, and it sounds like they're quite dedicated to their teaching. Any reflections or suggestions about someone considering it?

Sonya
skhchamberlain

Postby MotherNurtured » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:24 am

skhchamberlain wrote:Can you say more about Utah's Better Birth site? Were you there to get Active Participant or Primary skills? Did you feel that you were able to get exposure to what you needed? I'd never even heard of this program until you mentioned it in the forum, and it sounds like they're quite dedicated to their teaching. Any reflections or suggestions about someone considering it?

Sonya

I was there as PUS... I was able to get some skills there that I wasn't at home which included blood draws, well-woman care, legal midwifery and birth center births. The program is nice because clients get to choose between the private midwife program (at home or birth center) or the student program (birth center). I liked that they only accept one student on each track, so during my stay I was always first-on for student births.

I found the midwives and clients were very welcoming and I really enjoyed the experience. It was a very nice complement to my traditional apprenticeship!
MotherNurtured

Postby gunter » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:36 pm

i volunteer at bumi sehat in bali every two years and do fundraising for them when we are in the usa. i've had great experiences there and am willing to answer specific questions that you have.
gunter

Return to Student Alley