Candidates certified by the American Midwifery Certification Board (AMCB) must:
- Fulfill the General Education Requirements (outlined in the application).
- Complete the appropriate NARM application forms.
- Send a notarized copy of current AMCB CNM/CM wallet card.
- Submit documentation of functioning in the role of primary midwife or primary under supervision for:
- A minimum of ten births in homes or other out-of-hospital settings;
- A minimum five (5) births with continuity of care which includes five (5) prenatal exams spanning two trimesters, the birth, newborn exam and two (2) postpartum exams.
Upon approval of the application materials, the NARM Written Examination will be scheduled.
The Certified Professional Midwife certification will be issued after all requirements are met.
The Candidate Information Booklet (CIB) is a comprehensive guide to all aspects of the certification process. It is recommended that all candidates have a copy of the CIB as they move through the process of documentation of experience, knowledge and skills.
The CIB also contains information on the NARM Skills and Written Exams, including test specifications and textbook lists. A paper copy can be ordered through the applications department or you can simply download an electronic copy.
A module/workshop on Cultural Competency will be required for all applications submitted after September 1, 2012.