Requirements for NARM Recertification
- Each CPM must complete the Recertification Application and attach all pertinent documentation.
- A total of 30 CEUs over three years are required for recertification, including five mandatory CEUs in Peer Review and 25 CEUs in a variety of other categories.
- Maintain CPR and neonatal resuscitation certification. (CPR and/or neonatal resuscitation may not be used as part of your CEU totals.)
NARM only accepts certification for CPR and neonatal resuscitation from courses that include a hands-on skills component. Online only courses are not accepted. Approved CPR courses include the American Heart Association and the Red Cross. Neonatal resuscitation courses must be approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Canadian Paediatric Society, or pre-approved by NARM. Courses must be approved for use in the US or Canada.
All applicants and CPMs are required to complete a workshop, module, or course on Cultural Competency for certification and recertification. Approved Courses/Modules are:
- A course on cultural competency within a midwifery education program accredited by MEAC or a specific state approved midwifery education program
- A course on cultural competency within a state approved medical/health education program
- A cultural competency course offered as a workshop accredited for CEUs by MEAC
There are several online sites that provide Cultural Competency modules for health care providers and offer CEUs. A Google search should bring up quite a few options. Please note that Cultural Competency modules are not required to have CEUs attached, but if they do you may also use them in Category 1. If there are no CEUs provided the course/module must be health care related and presented through an institution or other recognized source. A certificate of completion may be submitted as proof of participation. Some options include:
- HRSA: Effective Communication Tools for Healthcare Professionals (NARM cannot provide technical support for this site. Any screen shot that shows you reached the end of the course will be accepted if you can’t access the course completion certificate.)
- Mercy in Action: Cultural Competency and Respect in the Provision of Maternity Care
- The online module offered by the March of Dimes (book purchase required)
- Cultural Competency Training: Working with Diverse Populations in Maternal and Child Health – ICTC (onsite only)