Midwives are the key to increasing access to effective maternity care:
- The American Public Health Association and the World Health Organization recommends midwives as the primary maternity care providers for the majority of women
- The Millbank Report: Evidence-Based Maternity Care recognizes the CPM as the benchmark for low intervention and good outcomes
- Nations with the lowest infant mortality employ midwives as the primary maternity care providers for the majority of women
- Mounting evidence supports the value and cost-savings potential of midwifery care, according to a report issued by the Washington Department of Health in 2010
- Birth centers and planned home births have been shown to be safe for low-risk women, with demonstrated potential to significantly reduce costs to the system
- CPMs are currently legally recognized in 26 states and own approximately half of the birth centers in the U.S.